Lab for biomedical & materials ultrasonic R&D
Prof. Dr. Nico F. DECLERCQ,
Full Professor (*)
G. W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering
IRL2958 Georgia Tech – CNRS
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, USA and Metz, France
Université de Lorraine
Physics Professor Honoris Causa (adjunct, courtesy)
University of Allahabad
* born in Belgium in 1975, in Kortrijk (Courtrai).
* married, 3 children.
* BS Physics from the Catholic University of Louvain – Campus Kortrijk (KULAK) in 1996
* MS Physics (Astrophysics) from the Catholic University of Louvain (KUL) in 2000, cum laude.
* PhD degree Engineering Physics from Ghent University (UG) in 2005, Summa Cum Laude and with Congratulations from the Jury (international PhD reading committee).
* tenured Professor at Georgia Institute of Technology: George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering in Atlanta GA, USA, with primary duties at the Georgia Tech Lorraine Campus in Metz-France (at the International UMI Georgia Tech – CNRS 2958 laboratory). Summer 2006 - present.
* Physics Professor Honoris Causa of the University of Allahabad (Oxford of the East), India.
* Chairman of the Technical Council of the Ultrasonics Section of the European Acoustics Association
* Physics in Medicine – Founder, past Editor-in-Chief, associate editor
* Board of the International Congress on Ultrasonics – Member, former Chairman and former President
* Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation - Associate Editor
* European Journal of Acoustics (Acta Acustica united with Acustica) - Associate Editor
* Journal of Vibration and Control – former Associate Editor
* Société Française d’Acoustique – former conseiller du Conseil d'Administration
* 2021: Student Recognition of Excellence in Teaching: Summer 2021 CIOS Honor Roll, College of Engineering, Georgia Tech, Atlanta.
* 2021: Received 2 'Thank a Teacher' notes with certificate from The Georgia Tech Center for Teaching and Learning.
* 2021: Published a book on his family past in an extensive history framework covering 1000 years.
* 2020: Received a 'Thank a Teacher' note with certificate from The Georgia Tech Center for Teaching and Learning.
* 2019: Guest of Honour and Inaugurator of the new Aryabhatt auditorium of the Veer Bahadur Singh Purvanchal University (VBSPU), with "The World-Renowned Scientist Prof. Dr Nico Declercq – France" engraved in the granite commemoration plaque at the entrance, Jaunpur, India.
* 2018: Appearance in the Golden Book of the Town of Montblanc, invited by the mayor of the town, historian Mr Josep Andreu Domingo, and in the presence of historian Eduard Contijoch.
* 2015: President of the 2015 International Congress on Ultrasonics, Metz.
* 2013: Best Paper Award in Engineering Acoustics, 2013 Montreal International Congress on Acoustics, Montreal, Canada.
* 2012: First prize for PhD thesis of his PhD student, contest of L'association des jeunes chercheurs de Franche-Comté - The Society for Young Researchers of Franche-Comté.
* 2009: World Technology Award Finalist, Materials Division, New York, USA.
* 2008: Georgia Tech Sigma Xi Young Faculty Award, Atlanta.
* 2008: Award of recognition "for the brilliant activity in organizing the conference, XI International Conference for Young Researchers in Wave Electronics and its Applications in Information and Telecommunication Systems", St Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation St Petersburg, Russia
* 2007: ICA Early Career Award, "For outstanding contributions to ultrasonics, particularly for studies of propagation and diffraction of acoustic waves", International Commission for Acoustics, Madrid, Spain.
* 2007: R. W. B. Stephens Student Prize, International Congress on Ultrasonics, Vienna, Austria.
* 2006: International Dennis Gabor Award, Hungarian Parliament, Budapest, Hungary.
* 2005: Postdoctoral Research Grant, Belgium’s National Science Foundation (FWO).
* 2004: J. L. Lions Award to Young Scientists in Computational Mathematics, 5th place, The European Community on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences, Finland.
* 2002: Physical Acoustics Best Student Paper Award, 144th Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, Cancun, Mexico.
* 2001: Best Presentation Award, 2nd PhD Symposium of the School of Engineering, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium.
* 2001: PhD Grant, IWT Flanders’ Institute for the Promotion of Innovation through Science and Technology.
* 1997: Made a grand journey to Sri Lanka, where he married while still a student, and successfully continued his education.
* 1993: Received full marks for his high school thesis in Biology on ‘Recombinant DNA Technology’, Royal Atheneum, Waregem, Belgium.
* 1993: Highest ranked student in Physics and Chemistry, final high school year, Royal Atheneum, Waregem, Belgium.
* 1992: Won with 5 positions in the first 100 of 16000 in an International Pigeon Race (Barcelona, Spain) in a team-cooperation with a prominent pigeoneer in Deerlijk, Belgium.
* 1990: Won the first prize in West Flanders in a Pigeon Race (Brive, France).
* 1987: served as private math summer teacher - fellow student consequently passed succesfully.
* 1986: skipped one year Latin to join class in the following year.
* 1985: received 20 out of 10 (sic) for his extensive class presentation on the solar system (‘Het Zonnestelsel’), fifth year, primary school, Driesprong (formerly RBS), Deerlijk, Belgium.
* 1984: first student since the primary school's establishment to maintain a 100% grade for algebra in 4th grade.
* 1983-1985: won several medals in swimming competitions.
(*) Europe: Le titre de ‘full professor’ (Etats Unis) est, par loi, assimilés, en France, à ‘professeur des universités’ (‘professeur titulaire de chaire’). Prof Declercq est également, à fortiori, bénéficiant d’une équivalence à L'Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches (HDR) pour les affaires académiques français et de l’Union européenne, y compris l’école doctorale.
Het wettelijk vastgestelde equivalent van ‘full professor’ (Verenigde Staten) is in Vlaanderen (België) ‘gewoon hoogleraar’ (PR 1ère cl.).
L'équivalent de 'full professor' (États-Unis) en Wallonie (Belgique) est 'professeur ordinaire' (membre corps prof.).
El equivalente legalmente establecido de 'full professor' (Estados Unidos) en España es 'Profesor catedrático'.
Full professor instar est 'professoris ordinarii' in latino.
Website last updated on Sunday, 13 November 2022.